The museum is located in Marianpuisto Park, which is about a 15-minute walk from Vaasa Market Square. The museum was established in 1895 and it functions as the historical museum of the City of Vaasa and as a museum of natural science for Ostrobothnia. The museum focuses mainly on cultural history, art and natural science.
Between three and five changing exhibitions are held annually. In addition to the temporary exhibitions, there are three permanent collection exhibitions corresponding to the museum’s main areas of focus. The Hedman Floor houses antiques and works of art, Vaasa 400 – which is a city history exhibition – and the Terranova exhibition, which informs the visitor about the natural environment in the Kvarken region and the World Heritage Site. The museum offers enjoyable experiences for visitors of all ages as well as information and ideas for teaching cultural history, local history, natural science and art.
The museum’s main collaborators are Ostrobothnia’s Historical Museum Association, the Hedman Foundation, the Vaasa Art Association, the Ostrobothnia Australis Association and the Gröndahl Brothers’ Foundation.