History of Vaasa City Art Gallery
The art gallery was opened in 1966 on the ground floor of Vaasa City Hall. At the time, the facilities were being renovated and turned into a modern and light exhibition room. The arched brick ceiling and supporting iron pillars are reminiscent of the building’s history. The present art gallery was previously a garage for fire engines.
The City Hall was completed in 1883. Exhibitions were arranged in the so-called ‘Museum Hall’ of the City Hall already before the art gallery began operating.